Unbundled Legal Services

We recognize and appreciate that not all individuals facing divorce need, want, and/or can afford to have a lawyer handle all aspects of their divorce on their behalf. One way to limit lawyer involvement (and reduce legal fees) is to limit the things you lawyer is asked to do for you. As skilled, experienced lawyers, we understand that clients can be well-served, even if we limit the scope of our work.

Rather than having your lawyer provide the full “bundle” of things that lawyers do, (such as gather information, provide legal advice, negotiate, draft papers, go to court, etc.) you can perform some tasks on your own while asking your lawyer to do the things that you need a lawyer to do for you.

For example, you can gather your own information and even gather information from your spouse and negotiate some of your issues, and then have a lawyer advise you on other issues, negotiate a final resolution and draft the final papers.  Here are some other examples of unbundled legal services, (sometimes called Limited Scope Representation):

  • Your lawyer provides legal advice on a paid, consultation basis (which can even include having the lawyer review papers you have drafted).
  • You and your spouse reach a full agreement (either through mediation or on your own) and want the lawyer to simply draft the final paperwork. (This may involve the lawyer “signing on” as the lawyer for one of the spouses or simply “ghost writing” pleadings).
  • Another lawyer drafts the divorce agreement and you just need a lawyer to review that agreement in your behalf.
  • You draft all of the papers and need a lawyer to provide guidance and procedural information on how to file and/or serve legal documents.
  • You need a lawyer to assist with a factual investigation, including a review and verification of source/supporting documents (financial records, business records, etc.)
  • You are in mediation with your spouse and you need someone to give you legal advice in between mediation sessions, (or even during the mediation sessions.).
  • You need a lawyer to help you with preventive planning and/or legal check-ups post-decree.